Aromatherapy is helpful with the treatment of arthritis because it can reduce pain and inflammation. Many people with arthritis are looking to natural alternative to expensive prescription drugs that can have serious side effects. Using aromatherapy can naturally relieve the swollen and aching joints that come with arthritis. In addition, it is a great way to improve your mood and relieve the anxiety that many people with arthritis suffer.
Aromatherapy uses the essential oils in plants contain healthful enzymes, vitamins, minerals and hormones. These can easily be absorbed by the body. Diffusers are used to spread the essential oil particles into the air. The part of the brain that controls blood pressure, heart rate, memory, breathing and other functions is affected by inhaling these oils.
You can add to their therapeutic value by putting the oils in your shower, bath, or sauna. Get maximum benefit by applying them to a warm compress wrapped around a sore joint. The skin easily absorbs the healing oils. True essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil, such as almond or sesame oil. They are strong and may irritate your skin otherwise.
Let's look at which oils are particularly helpful for arthritis:
- Angelica root : Acts as an anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant and pain reliever.
- Rosemary : Is an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant.
- Wintergreen, camphor, and menthol: Cooling and anti-inflammatory benefits. You can apply topically to sore joints.
- Clove, thyme, and cinnamon: Warming and anti-inflammatory. Beneficial if your arthritis is worse when it's cold and damp out.
- Cedarwood: Helps elimination through mucous membranes. Also as a sedative and an antiseptic.
- Rose: An anti-depressant. Stimulates function of the stomach and liver.
- Tea Tree: Enhances skin function and also used as an antibiotic and antifungal treatment.
- Ginger: Use as a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory.
- Lemon: Acts as an antiseptic and increases flow of urine.
Aromatherapy helps with relaxation and decreasing muscle tension. It is important to note that you need to purchase oil that is 100% pure. Some oils marked as essences or perfumes have synthetic chemicals added.
You will need to keep essential oils in dark containers and out of warm, damp and moist conditions. They are adversely compromised by heat and the sun. Oxidation can occur if they are exposed to air, so you need to keep the bottles tightly sealed. You should be able to keep them fresh for about a year, if you store them properly.
Aromatherapy is a wonderful and calming way to treat your arthritis naturally. Be aware that it can be addictive!
This article is written for information purposes only and not meant to diagnose or treat medical problems. The advice and care of a physician is recommended for your health concerns.
Managing the pain, swelling and stiffness of arthritis is a constant challenge to people with arthritis. Whether it's osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or gout, natural remedies provide relief and ways to control your arthritis symptoms. More natural remedies and tips available here:http://beatarthritis.great-home-remedies.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Diane_Declet